My Object - Magic 8 Ball

 



For my project in ‘Identity’ I chose my Magic 8 ball. The Magic 8 ball is a ball with ink and a small triangle shape inside, covered with a range of different responses to whatever you ask it. You have to hold it and ask a yes or no question, shake it, and then it’ll give you an answer. 

I’ve chosen this because I’ve had it since I was 8 suspiciously, which my brother in law gave to me since it was his at first so this ball has over 13 years old or more! I think I’ve grown so attached to it because of its purpose, I’m not a superstitious person and I don’t really believe it but I find it fun when others do. Plus I’m a really indecisive person, it helps me make quick random choices to live a more spontaneous life. Furthermore, when the ball gives me an answer I didn’t want, ill just have the attitude “I’ll prove you wrong!”. However, for some reason I never really checked if it worked, perhaps because I know it’s not real but a toy, but it’s nice imagining and getting excited when the answer is actually right also making kids think it’s real.

In addition, when I was younger I always wanted to surprise people at school or family and bring weird things, such as brining the ball to school would instantly make everyone curious and suddenly I had a crowd, then friends. Also I’ve always liked the possibility of magic or the unnatural although I didn’t believe it, the ball was something stuck in between unnatural and natural at the same time, like the idea behind the magic 8 ball is unnatural but physically it’s only just a ball with ink and words inside. A bit like the way I go about things in life, with a bit of escapism and reality, a healthy amount of both. Yes it’s not real but the idea of it is fun. Maybe that’s a part of my identity being someone not serious, someone fun or even different which is something everyone thrives for. 

Comments