My Map - My Cluedo

 




Above is the final piece for the ‘Walking’ project for my graphic media and I went with the inspiration of the famous mystery game board Cluedo. I came to this idea Because of the little ghost animations I did after my walk, I saw plenty of child related things which had no explanation and because of the abandoned greenhouse it gave a creepy feel, also a mystery yet to be solved and then I thought of the child’s game, Cluedo. I found it can also represent how children move through an urban environment, filled with imagination and mystery, with the want to make everything an adventure. Importantly this is what I felt like on my walk, a little adventure and mystery just like the Cluedo is.

 Ever since I was little I loved playing it, the game consists of a death inside the mansion, the players need go around the board to rooms inside the mansion to solve the murder and to win the game they must find out who the killer is, the murder weapon and where the crime took place. From this I started to think of ideas, like instead of the mansion I could make it the area that I walked, Beckenham and from that I went on maps to research where I walked, which was Blakeney Road and Monivea Road. Furthermore, Instead of rooms as places, I named the places by specific interesting things I saw, such as the ‘The three puddles’ or ‘The Green Bus Stop’ which are all real things you can find in this part of Beckenham if you go around Blakeney Road and the roads nearby to this. However, some roads were dead ends and to make good game design I had to make roads connect to others, for the player to know this I removed the outline of the road, so wherever the black outline stops it means the road in real life is a dead end, although for the players it’s much easier to move around the board and get to places quicker. The cards also have the same purpose as the real Cluedo game, but I had to make some changes such as the murder weapons had to change as you cannot kill someone with a candle stick outside on the streets. So as an example I designed one of the weapons as ‘Hit By Car’, which is expected being outside. This could also tackle the idea of walking as something dangerous, which is definitely possible.

For the style I got the idea of mixing 2D and 3D objects (trees, houses, etc.) from Lizzie Cullen, the artist I had to research. I choose her because mixing 2D and 3D objects creates that fantasy feel, which helps create that childlike style, as fantasy is constantly related to children. This game is targeted to slightly older kids, because of this the colours and time of day, night, (lots of heavy black, blue for night instead of pastels) helped separate toddlers from children. The colour palette was from the Cluedo box’s outside design, with the strongest colours being orange, blue, purple and black.

The last thing I did to complete this was go on same walk again, to find more interesting things I could put on the board as places, and that’s when I found ‘The R.I.P Brick’ down Copers Cope Road and ‘The Twin Houses’ near the end of Blakeney Road. I have linked the extra pictures I took from the same second walk I did below.

More pictures from the same walk for the second time - LINK 

Comments